Thursday, February 24, 2011

Mango chicken with cilantro lime rice

I love when I have ingredients I need to use up and my experiment works. This was one of those nights with an almost over ripe mango. I have never made mango chicken before but I was pleasantly surprised.

Mango sauce

Ingredients

2 teaspoons olive oil
1 small fine diced red onion
3 cloves of garlic diced
1 small finger of ginger grated
1/2 cup apple juice (orange would have worked too)
Juice from 1 small lime
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon sriracha hot sauce (the one with the roaster on it)
1/2 teaspoon garlic and red pepper flakes paste
1 teaspoon cumin
1/2 teaspoon cracked blacked pepper
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
1 tablespoon brown sugar
1 ripe mango peeled and diced


Directions

In a small sauce pan add oil, onions, garlic and ginger. Saute until onions start to go clear.
Add all other ingredients and bring to a soft boil. Reduce heat and simmer

Chicken

8-10 skinless drumsticks (really any chicken would work)
1 red pepper
1 green pepper
1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon cumin
1 teaspoon thyme
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1/2 teaspoon sea salt

While sauce is simmering prepare chicken by removing skin (if not already). Place in bottom of dish.

In a small dish combine your spices. Sprinkle over top chicken, flip and sprinkle over the other side.

Add diced peppers on top of the chicken

Pour sauce on top of the chicken and bake in a preheated 375 oven for about 45 minutes or until juices from chicken run clear. (Boneless chicken will take less time 30-40 minutes)

*If you do not seem to have enough sauce add 1/4 cup water on top, more or less depending on how much chicken you use I judged it at the end after I poured the sauce it on top the chicken.

Not the prettiest looking meal but it sure was tasty




Here is how to make cilantro rice as well. This is not an original method I think Chipolte's restaurant has a version. I have never tried it but I heard its good.

2 cups uncooked rice (any kind I used Calrose, my favorite is jasmine though :)
4 cups water

I use a rice cooker but stove method would also work.

Cook until rice is almost done, add 1 cup diced fresh cilantro and the juice from 1/2 a lime.

Simple huh?

No comments:

Post a Comment