Step one.. appropriate cooking music. In this case it was Pink Floyd: The Wall on vinyl
Slow cooker beef
1 good sized beef roast (mine is a Sirloin tip)
1 diced onion
4-5 cloves of garlic
1.5 cups water
1 cup ketchup
2-3 tablespoons Asian hot pepper/garlic sauce (I used asian bbq sauce I got on clearance but the pepper sauce will work too and is easier to find) *see pic
1/2 cup soya sauce
1/2 cup rice vinegar
1 cup brown sugar
3-4 good sized chipolti peppers canned in adobo sauce *see pic
- Throw roast, garlic, onion in crock pot on low.
- Mix all other ingredients in a bowl and pour over roast
- Cook until roast is done enough to shred (4-5 hours on high 6-7 on low or depending on size of roast) - I recommend investing in a meat thermometer so you don't overcook it. Beef just needs to be falling apart.
- Remove roast and pull apart with two forks on a cutting board.
- I usually remove the sauce from the slow cooker at the same time, pouring it through a wire strainer into a measuring cup. Then I dice up the onions, garlic from the sauce with some more chipotle peppers for topping for people who like it extra spicy.
- Add beef back into crock pot and pour on just enough sauce to coat but not make too soggy.
- Turn to 'warm' setting or low if you have no warm and let sit until your flat bread is ready.
Flat bread (This I do measure)
- 2 cups warm water
- 1 package yeast
- 4.5 flour
- .5 cups flour (for flouring your counter)
- 1/3 cups corn meal
- 4 dashes cumin
- 2 dashes chili powder
- 2 dashes paprika
- 1 tablespoon salt + 1 dash
- 1 dash fresh ground pepper
- 2-3 tablespoons of olive oil
- 1-2 cups grated cheese (I used aged cheddar but use what you like)
- Add water to a large bowl. Sprinkle yeast on top then give a quick stir. Let stand until yeast is dissolved completely (5ish minutes)
- Mix cumin, chili powder, paprika, 1 dash of salt, pepper together. Mix well.
- Add 4 (of the 4.5 cups) flour, cornmeal, remaining salt, and half the spice mixture to your yeast and water.
- Mix until well combined then add remaining .5 cup flour. Kneed until flour is mixed in completely. Then turn onto a lightly floured counter (using part of the .5 cup) and kneed until smooth and stretchy (about 5 - 7 minutes) and forms a ball easily.
- Pour a 1-2 tablespoons of oil into metal bowl. Drop in your dough ball and roll around to coat well. Cover and place where its warm (I heat my oven on lowest setting then turn it off and place the bowl in there).
- Let dough rise for 1-1.5 hours (until roughly doubled in size)
- Lightly coat baking sheet with more oil. Turn dough onto counter and punch down. Using your fingers press onto the pan until desired size.
- Return to warm place to rise again for 30 minutes
- Push down lightly once more into pan, poke holes (I used a chopstick)
- Lightly brush with oil, sprinkle on cheese and dust with remaining spice mixture.
- Bake until flat bread is browned every slightly on the bottoms and still soft.
- Stuff meat mixture in flat bread and fold around like a taco. Top with chipotle, onion, garlic mixture if you wish and sour cream and top with more cheese if you like too. I wanted lettuce with mine we didn't have any. Oh well next time!