Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Borscht and beet painting

I loath beets but I love borscht. It's the dill 100% I could eat dill by the spoonful I swear. So really I should just call my borscht dill soup to be completely honest. Although borscht is fun to say and makes me feel smart. Anyway if you love dill you will love my borscht and if you love dill and beets you will really love it :)

Ingredient:

3 beets
3 carrots
3 stalks of celery
3 cups cabbage
3 cloves of garlic
3 potatoes
1 lonely onion
1 bunch of fresh dill
1 can of diced tomatoes
tomato paste* (optional and I left it out this time even though its in the photo because I honestly had no room in my crock pot it made no difference to the taste so I am going to deem it unnecessary)
3 cups water
salt/pepper to taste
dry dill to taste

Beet painting - One toddler, pile of beet peels, piece of paper (and some stain remover)



This is what I really love about this soup. It is so cheap to make and its a great way to use up veggies. It's also a good vegetarian meal if you add some biscuits or buns with it.

Directions:
Peel, wash, dice, chop etc all veggies including the fresh dill and garlic.

This is when you introduce the beet painting to your rambunctious toddler to keep him busy.

I don't obsess over the size other then the carrots because they take so long to cook I make them on the small size. You can also shred them to speed the process.


Place in crock pot and top with tomatoes and three cups of water

Cook until the veggies are soft, I cook mine all day (8-10 hours) on low
Once veggies are fork soft I use my braun hand mixer to puree. A food processor or blender would also work.



Once its all pureed then I season with salt/pepper and more dry dill to taste then I cook it another hour or so to let the flavors really blend checking it from time to time to adjust the seasoning.


Serve with sour cream and more dill if you like it as much as I do

And proudly display your beet art!

No comments:

Post a Comment