Monday, September 27, 2010

Autumn favorites - apple crisp

One thing I LOVE about this time of year are BIN APPLES! So cheap and perfect for making apple crisp. I bought a huge bag the other day for $2 so figured it was a good time to test run my new stove with a baking day.



Ingredients
3 cups oats
1.5 cups flour ( separated into 1 cup and .5 cup amounts)
2 cups brown sugar ( separated into 1.5 cup and .5 cup amounts)
1.5 cup butter
10-11 good sized apples - peeled, cored, sliced thin
2 teaspoons cinnamon
1 teaspoon nutmeg
1 teaspoon ground cloves

Directions
  • Peel, core, slice apples

EEP Naked apples!
  • Sprinkle apples with: .5 cups of flour, all spices and .5 cups of brown sugar (you can add more if you want it sweeter but I like my apples a bit tart)
  • Stir and set aside
  • In second large bowl add all dry ingredients and mix
  • Add butter then mix well. I use my hands to get it good and mixed, it should be course crumbs no big lumps.
  • Once its good and mixed spread 1/2 of bowl into a lightly buttered dish. I use a large lasagna style dish because it has nice high sides.
  • Flatten crust into pan firmly
  • Top with apple and spice mixture
  • Dot top of apples with a few teaspoons of butter
  • Add rest of the crumb mixture on top of apples and press down lightly, a bit more firmly around the edges. You don't want to crush the apples but want it a bit flattened.
  • Bake in a preheated 375 degree oven for 1 hour - 1:20ish or until apples are soft but not mushy.
  • Serve warm with cream or ice cream

No comments:

Post a Comment